I expected some things to be different in London, England than in Chicago or Boston, USA, but here are a few things that I have found to be unexpectedly missing…
- Apple sauce. Upon further thought this kind of makes sense.
- 25p coin. Instead there is a 20p coin (not to mention the 2p, £1 (which also means the £1 note doesn’t exist), and £2 coins…and the fact that people actually use 50p coins here). I wonder if this reflects a difference in thinking about numbers.
- The gaps around the door around a toilet stall. I rather like this.
- Walk signals. Not completely absent, but it feels like there are a lot fewer here.
- Target/Walmart equivalent (at least in the city…)
I’ll update this list with more in the future. I think it’s rather interesting. I’ll probably do a list of things that are “additional” as well.
(Some updates 09/12/17)